Christmas Recipes: The French Yule Log
For a Christmas with a French twist, why not bake a delicious Yule Log, also known as the “Bûche de Noël” in French. This traditional Christmas dessert is truly special and will please both adults and kids.
Here is how Magali, the owner and founder of Family Twist, makes her own Bûche de Noël. We have tasted it, and it has been approved by our very demanding team of fine yule log connoisseurs!
For 10 people:
- 4 large eggs
- 125 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- 50 g butter
- A teaspoon of yeast
- 125 g chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of double cream
1. Lightly grease some baking parchment and place it in a tray on the oven rack.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks.
3. Mix the egg yolk and the sugar until it is smooth, then stir in the flour, the melted butter and the yeast.
4. Whisk the egg white and fold it into you mixture.
5. When everything is well blended, pour the batter into the tray and spread it out. It should cover the entire tray.
6. With the help of your parents, put it in the oven for 6-8 minutes at 250°C (th7-8).
7. Dampen a cloth and sprinkle it with a bit of sugar before spreading it out on a surface. Carefully remove your creation from the tray and place it on the cloth, throwing away the baking parchment.
8. Then make your ganache by melting the chocolate in a bain-marie. When it is ready, add the cream and mix well.
9. Put the chocolate ganache on the cake mixture and roll it using the cloth. This can be a bit tricky, so maybe ask your parents for some help.
10. Place it in the fridge for an hour, still inside the cloth.
11. When it is ready, remove the cloth and cut both sides of the cake to give it the form of a log.
Use your imagination and decorate your Bûche de Noël with whatever you want. Why not add some Christmas figurines, little trees, fruit or some whipped cream?
Want to know more about French traditions for Christmas, check our blog post on How To Make The Most Of Your Christmas In Paris With Kids.